Surety Bond Information
To complete the licensing process, you are required to obtain a $10,000 Surety Bond or an irrevocable letter of credit for $10,000 from a bank. The ORIGINAL Surety Bond form (Form SB01) and Power of Attorney page that comes with it, or the ORIGINAL Irrevocable Letter of Credit from a bank, must be sent to the Board’s office (PO Box 20875, Raleigh NC 27619). (The Power of Attorney authorizes the agent to make restitution payments against the surety bond, when directed by the licensing board, in the event landscape work damages have occurred)
A Surety Bond or Irrevocable Letter of Credit must be written to reflect the way you will be operating your business as a landscape contractor.
Please see the following options:
1. Working under your own name – If your business is not incorporated, a LLC, or partnership, or similar business entity and you are working under your own name as a company (ex. Joe Doe Landscaping), your bond should be an Individual Bond listing you as the Principal.
2. Working under another name – If your business is not incorporated, a LLC, partnership or similar business entity and you are working under a d/b/a (doing business as) business name (other than your own name), your bond should be an Individual Bond listing your name d/b/a (doing business as) and your company’s name.
3. Working for a Corporation, LLC, Partnership or similar business entity – Your company (or the company you work for) must have a NC Landscape Contractors’ Corporate License and a Corporate Bond listing your name, and the company’s name as principal. All licensed landscape contractors working for the company and covered by the bond should be listed on the bond where indicated.
4. Working for a Corporation, LLC, Partnership or similar business entity and as an Individual – You must have and be listed on the corporate bond of the company that you are working for. If you also plan to work on your own, under your own name, you must also obtain an Individual Bond in your own name.
- Sign the Original Surety Bond (Form SB01)
- Send in the Original Surety Bond (Form SB01) AND the
- Power of Attorney to the Board office. If you work for a company which has a company surety bond which names you as a covered employee (and you are not an official of that company) your company should send in the original surety bond and you would send in a copy of the company surety bond that names you as a covered employee.
- Irrevocable letter of credit for $10,000 from a bank.
NOTE: The law requires that any change in your working arrangement must be reported to the board and any necessary bond changes must be made and submitted to the board within 30 days of the change.
Surety Bond (Individual and Corporate)
⇒ Click HERE for Surety Compliance Bond (SB01) (PDF)
Surety Bond Samples:
⇒ Individual Surety Bond Sample (PDF)
⇒ Corporate Surety Bond Sample (PDF)